The past is a valuable resource...
Pathways to Freedom: Maryland and the Underground Railroad is
a resource for Maryland teachers and students, to help them closely examine
the diverse aspects of Underground Railroad what it was, how and why
it came to be, and what it meant for us as a state and a nation.
In this section, you will find:
- Video clips you can use in conjunction with the
site or other classroom activities related to the Underground Railroad.
- Teacher Tips, which include specific suggestions
for using each interactive in your class.
- Links to rich Internet sites providing primary
source documents, analyses, and data related to the experiences of African-Americans
in the United States.
- Lesson plans and activities, including many that
have a reading focus.
- Reading Tips you can use to help students better
understand content materials they use in your class.
- A Teacher Toolbox with strategies and printables
to help students of all reading abilities get the most out of their experience
with this site.
Resources will be added here as they are developed. In the meantime, if you
have any suggestions for activities that could help students or teachers as
they work to investigate Maryland and the Underground Railroad please
send them along to us.